Suisun City is a progressive and proactive law enforcement agency situated in the heart of Solano County. As a result of its proximity to neighboring jurisdictions, the men and women of the Suisun City Police Department remain extremely busy as they address the needs of the community. Candidates interested in testing for the position of Public Safety Dispatcher with the Suisun City Police Department must be prepared to take on the challenges of a fast paced work environment.
Under supervision (Public Safety Dispatcher I) or general supervision (Public Safety Dispatcher II) performs a variety of duties involved in receiving, evaluating, prioritizing, and relaying calls for emergency and non-emergency public safety assistance; dispatches appropriate Police, Fire and/or Medic units and coordinates response of emergency personnel; maintains, processes, and distributes police records; operates a variety of telecommunications equipment including radio, telephone, and CAD systems; and performs a wide variety of specialized clerical duties involved in the preparation, maintenance, and release of materials related to law enforcement activities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Receives, classifies, and prioritizes all incoming emergency calls for service to the dispatch center including 911 calls and business line calls received from citizens requesting service or information; operates a variety of public safety communications equipment including 911 emergency telephone equipment, computer aided dispatch systems, and multi-channel radio systems; dispatches police and fire units and personnel.
- Performs a variety of duties involved in police records operations including disseminating, maintaining confidentiality, evaluating, copying, and filing police records and reports; processes and distributes arrest reports to the District Attorney, juvenile probation offices, and courts in a timely manner; ensures that information is released in accordance with related laws and Police Department policies.
- Evaluates response necessary as dictated by a given request for service; determines nature, location, and priority of calls; operates computer aided dispatch system to create calls for service within response criteria guidelines; assigns and dispatches appropriate police, fire, or other emergency vehicles, equipment, and personnel in accordance with policies and procedures; transfers calls to other appropriate agency in accordance with established procedures; obtains and dispatches other support services as necessary.
- Other duties as described in the complete Job Description.
Public Safety Dispatch candidates looking for the opportunity to work in a fast paced environment that provides exposure to a large variety of calls for service and exposure to all aspects of law enforcement and fire public safety are encouraged to apply.
Suisun City Police Department is looking for Public Safety Dispatchers who possess the qualities required to deliver the highest level of service with honor and integrity while maintaining the highest ethical and moral standards. An ideal candidate must demonstrate the ability and willingness to live up to the Department Core Values, demonstrate integrity in all they say and do, demonstrate a strong commitment to public service; and above all, must continually display only the highest level of respect and professionalism.
Education and Experience Guidelines
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Public Safety Dispatcher I
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, supplemented by successful completion of the basic dispatcher course within specified time period. Documentation of a POST Dispatcher T-score of 50 or higher, enrollment in or a certificate of completion from a certified training program is desired.
Two years of increasingly responsible clerical experience that includes customer service in an environment with frequent interruptions.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license. Typing certificate from an accredited agency is required.
Public Safety Dispatcher II
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by successful completion of the basic dispatcher course within specified time period.
One year experience comparable to that of a Public Safety Dispatcher I with the City of Suisun City. Two years of increasingly responsible clerical experience that includes customer service in an environment with frequent interruptions.
License or Certificate:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid P.O.S.T. Dispatcher Certificate.
Physical Requirements for Public Safety Dispatcher I/II
Ability to meet the physical demands and working environment described in the Job Description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
For positions represented by the Suisun City Employees’ Association, the benefit package includes:
Medical Insurance - Fully City-paid medical up to the CalPERS Kaiser Family Rate for employee, spouse and dependents. Employees who demonstrate health coverage through another source, an in-lieu cash payment of up to $700 per month is available. City offers IRS Section 125 benefits plan for dependent care and healthcare reimbursement accounts. Vision and dental insurance options available at competitive rates.
Retirement - Fully City-paid California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) retirement of 2% @ 55 for Classic Employees (including EPMC), or 2% @ 62 for new employees subject to the California Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013. City does not participate in Social Security, but does withhold for Medicare, in accordance with federal law.
Life Insurance - Fully City-paid life insurance of $200,000 for employee only.
Deferred Compensation Plan - City contributes match up to $2,400 per year on a pay period basis into the ICMA 457 Deferred Compensation Plan.
Education / Training Reimbursement - Up to $1,000 per year upon successful completion of approved program.
Paid Leave - 96 hours of annual sick leave, 13 paid holidays per year (including two floating holidays), and 80 hours paid vacation per year for the first five years of service. Vacation amounts increase based on longevity - 120 hours after 5 years, 144 hours after 10 years, 160 hours after 15 years, and 184 hours after 19 years.
Alternative Work Schedule - The standard City work schedule is 9/80 with alternate Fridays off.
Uniform Allowance - Police Department positions include a $500 annual uniform allowance per MOU.
The City of Suisun City utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City’s official application form, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position.
A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.