This responsible position is characterized by developing new and innovative presentations (marketing collateral) with limited structure or routine work. Work assignments are performed in collaboration with various divisions and levels of staff, independently, with responsibility for following through on development. Contacts are regularly made both internally and externally at all levels of the organization involving tact, discretion, good listening and customer service skills. The position requires creative ability, knowledge of how to generate graphics using the computer and the ability to exercise a reasonable degree of independent judgment. This classification assists with development and implementation of standards for consistency in materials, written and posted on the Internet. Additionally, the position requires good written communication skills, public relations, interpersonal, and problem solving skills and abilities. The Marketing Associate receives direction from program supervisors and management staff.
Education and Experience:
The minimum qualifications for education and experience can be met in the following way:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in graphic arts or a closely related field; AND
One year of related work experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Computer programs utilized in the production of graphic representations (specifically, the Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Publisher, Word, and Excel).
- Dynamics of development of Websites (social media sites).
- Basic principles, best practices and trends in graphic design (Associated Press Writing Style).
- Follow general instructions, directions and procedures.
- Accomplish assigned work and administrative tasks working independently or with a minimum of supervision.
- Process information and data in a relevant manner to reach reasonable conclusions and make practical decisions.
- Demonstrate flexibility of style relative to specific job assignments, working environments, shift schedules and hours.
- Interact well as part of a team.
- Perform relatively complex computer applications.
- Communicate with high proficiency in both written and spoken English.
- Use independent reasoning to solve programs of moderate complexity.
- Perform the essential functions of this position.
- Utilizing a personal computer and software relevant to this classification.
- Using design software packages (including Adobe Creative Suite and Dot Net Nuke, Microsoft Publisher, Word and Excel).
- Working effectively with others, as a contributing group or team member on multiple assignments.
- Establishing and maintaining effective work relationships with a variety of people, including City staff, the public, and outside consultants.
- Prioritizing assignments and workload appropriately and responding to multiple deadlines
Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C California driver's license and a safe driving record, or the ability to provide alternative transportation as approved by the appointing authority.
- Previous experience in graphic and web design (experience in writing marketing collateral, and social media management and development).
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in marketing, or communications.
For complete details and to apply, visit the City of Sunnyvale's website.
Electronic applications may be submitted on-line through the City's employment page; go to Sunnyvale.ca.gov, Search: Jobs or application materials may be submitted to: Department of Human Resources, 505 West Olive Avenue, Suite 200, Sunnyvale, CA 94088.