The City of Sunnyvale Department of Library and Recreation Services is seeking an Intern to assist with marketing projects (e.g. Activity Guide, fliers, social media), the production of special events (e.g. Hands on the Arts Festival, State of the City, Family Fall Fest) as well as assist in other work areas as needed (Arts – Gallery, Pottery Studio and Theatre; Youth, Teen, Adult and Senior recreation programming; Sports and Aquatics programming, Facility/Field Rentals and Customer Service Desk/Registration).
Supervision Received and Exercised
Receives general direction from the Recreation Services Coordinator 2 in the Department of Library and Recreation Services. This position may act as a lead with community members.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(May include, but are not limited to, the following):
- Creates marketing material to promote the Recreation Services recreation and social services programs successfully
- Maintains, enhances and provides content for social media pages on Facebook, Instagram and NextDoor
- Plans logistics for special events, including communicating with committee staff members, volunteers, vendors, artists and performers; ordering and organizing supplies and attending planning meetings and discussions
- Tracks and keep record of special event supply purchases
- Implements Special Events, including greeting the public and answering questions; helping with set-up and clean-up; and supporting vendors, partners, artists and performers by addressing equipment, technical, and other needs
- Performs a wide variety of task such as writing program descriptions, proofreading/editing marketing content, taking photos or selecting imagery to be used in marketing campaigns
- Prepares reports and presentations for Arts Commission, Parks and Recreation Commission or Library Board of Trustees
- Researches similar events in the Bay Area and beyond and suggests best practices
- Learns to follow all City standards related to branding and writing (Associated Press style), or as otherwise directed, and meet deadlines
- Represents the division at community outreach events (such as fairs, special events, etc.) by promoting recreation services programs and services
- Assists the Recreation Services Division with additional duties as assigned
- Develop experience in special event planning and production
- Apply internet research skills and gain experience in social media marketing
- Improve writing skills through a variety of communication mediums (formal correspondence, marketing materials, web content)
- Gain experience in marketing programs and activities
- Gain exposure and experience in program planning in arts, sports, aquatics, youth, teens and older adult recreation
- Expand professional network in producing events
Education and Experience
The minimum qualifications for education and experience can be met in the following way:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program with a major in Recreation, Parks, Tourism, Hospitality, Marketing/Communications, Visual Arts, Performing Arts or Theater Arts
- Courses or experience in marketing, event planning, recreation, parks, tourism, visual or performing arts, theater or pottery.
For complete position details, please visit the City of Sunnyvale's website at Sunnyvale.ca.gov.
Electronic applications may be submitted on-line through the City's employment page at Sunnyvale.ca.gov, Search: Jobs.