Enjoy working with children? Want to make a difference in your community? Consider becoming a School Crossing Guard for the City of Thousand Oaks! The City’s School Crossing Guards play an important role in the life of children who walk or bicycle to school in helping them safely cross the street at key locations.
The City is establishing a list to fill several positions. Apply immediately to be considered for these part-time job opportunities. Some assignments may include working on a substitute basis at various school locations. The schedule involves working 2 to 4 hours each day including approximately one and a half (1 ½) hours in the morning and one and a half (1 ½) hours in the afternoon during the school year.
● Monitor and assist with the street crossing of school-age children during slow and peak traffic times
● Provide appropriate safety instruction for children crossing streets and intersections
● Watch traffic flow and wait for appropriate gap between vehicles to lead groups of school children promptly across a street
The ideal candidates should possess:
● Knowledge of proper methods of crossing children at street intersections
● The ability to effectively communicate with children, school officials, City staff, and the general public
● Good judgment and the ability to remain calm in emergencies
● The ability to maintain effective working relationships with citizens, children, school officials, and fellow employees
● The ability to stand and/or walk for 2-4 hours per day
● The ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions
- Effective Communicator
- Safety Conscious
- Team Player
Filing Deadline: Open until filled.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City can be found on our website at www.toaks.org/jobs. The City of Thousand Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Female, minority and disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
For additional information or questions, please contact Human Resources staff at (805) 449-2144.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION FOR THE DISABLED - The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation to the disabled. Individuals with disabilities needing accommodation in order to participate in the selection process must inform the staff of the Human Resources Department of the City of Thousand Oaks in writing no later than the final filing date as stated on the job flyer. Those applicants needing such accommodations should document this request including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodations needed to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.