The City is currently accepting applications to fill several part-time, hourly positions to work in the theatres at the Civic Arts Plaza. Under the direction of the Technical Supervisors and the theatre department leads, the Stage Hands assist with a variety of tasks related to theatre operations and maintenance. The schedule will involve working up to 19 hours per week, depending on assignment. Schedule includes working nights, weekends, and holidays. On occasion, the position may involve working additional hours in a week.
- Assist in the operation and maintenance of theatre sound, lighting, and/or rigging systems during rehearsals, performances, concerts, and meetings
- Assist in loading, unloading, fabrication, installation, and operation of lighting, sound, and rigging systems and manipulation of props in theatrical settings.
- Perform heavy manual labor
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess at least one year of experience working backstage in a live theatre setting or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Have experience with multiple technical areas of theatre, such as: lighting, audio, carpentry and wardrobe
- Have the ability to operate and maintain stage equipment including stage lighting instruments, microphones, speakers, curtains and drops
- Be familiar with common hand tools and their uses; basics of electrical power and power tools
- Be safety conscious and familiar with the occupational hazards and standard safety practices as they relate to stage work
- Be able to read and follow a script
- Understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely with coworkers and production staff
- Be a team player who works well with others
- Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent
Requirements: Must have sufficient physical ability to climb ladders, lift, carry and push tools, equipment and supplies weighing 50 pounds or more and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. In addition, must be able to work in various lighting conditions, including darkened walkways and stairwells.
- Critical Thinker
- Safety Conscious
- Technically knowledgeable
FILING DEADLINE: Apply immediately; open until a sufficient # of qualified applications have been received.
First review of candidates: June 27, 2019
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City is available on our website at www.toaks.org.
For additional information or questions, please contact Human Resources at (805) 449-2144.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE: In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.