We have an excellent opportunity in the Community Development Department of the City of Thousand Oaks!
We are seeking a Senior Combination Building Inspector to lead, oversee and participate in the more complex inspection duties associated with plumbing and mechanical in the enforcement of building, zoning, and related codes and regulations governing the construction, alteration, repair and use of buildings and structures. The Senior Combination Building Inspector will plan check in specialized areas (plumbing and mechanical), and provide lead supervision to assigned staff.
The Senior Combination Building Inspector must possess excellent customer service and communication skills, be self-motivated, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and project a very professional image through in-person, phone, and e-mail interactions at all times.
- Leads, plans, trains, and reviews the work of staff responsible for performing skilled inspection work in the enforcement of building, zoning, fire, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, housing, and related codes and regulations governing the construction, alteration, repair and use of buildings and structures; performs the more difficult and complex building inspection duties of the work unit including assignment as site inspector to long-term large development projects and the Residential Resale Inspection program.
- Trains assigned employees in their areas of work including building inspection methods, procedures, and techniques; serves as a resource for staff to ensure consistency and effectiveness in enforcing building codes and carrying out policy.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures; recommends programs and projects to higher-level Building Inspections personnel.
- Provides leadership and works with staff to ensure a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s and the City’s mission, objectives, and values.
- Performs the more difficult and complex inspection services of residential and/or commercial buildings including plan check review of all regulations applicable to an assigned specialized area (plumbing and mechanical).
- Performs counter plan checks and reviews field revisions and/or as-built plans as necessary; ensures compliance with City, state and federal construction, maintenance, use, health, safety, electrical, mechanical and plumbing laws, codes and standards.
- Participates in coordinating residential resale inspections.
- Confers with, coordinates with, and provides information and assistance to architects, engineers, contractors, builders, and the general public in the field and office; explains and interprets applicable codes, ordinances, and zoning regulations.
- Assists other building inspection staff, departments and divisions with questions, inspections, and compliance issues.
- Assists in the preparation of legal documents such as warrants for inspection, citation briefs and demolition or repair orders; tracks extended cases through the court system and coordinates action with the City Attorney’s office.
- Keeps informed of changes and new legislation pertaining to building codes and regulations affecting work of the department, ensuring that appropriate staff is informed and current.
- Maintains a variety of files and records related to areas of assignment; inputs and retrieves information into computer data bases; prepares reports, correspondence, and a variety of other written materials as requested.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Certification as a Building Inspector (plumbing and mechanical) and Plans Examiner
- Five or more years of building inspection work experience
- One or more years of plans examiner experience
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills to interface with the public and colleagues
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Basic knowledge of permitting process for construction
- Basic ability to read construction drawings
- Attentiveness to detail and accuracy
- Experience with Microsoft Windows and Office suites
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent, a college degree is preferred
- A valid Class C California driver's license
- Effective Communicator
- Customer Focused
- Problem Solver and Decision Maker
- Technically Knowledgeable
First review of candidates: Friday, February 14, 2020.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City is available on our website at www.toaks.org.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION - The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
Veteran’s Preference - In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.