The City of Thousand Oaks has an exciting opportunity for a Building Inspection Supervisor in the Community Development Department. We are seeking a highly motivated and results oriented individual to supervise and lead staff in the enforcement of building, zoning, fire, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, housing and related codes and regulations governing the construction, alteration, repair and use of buildings and structures.
The Building Inspection Supervisor must be highly knowledgeable in building inspection programs and federal, state and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Plans, organizes, supervises, and evaluates the work and performance of assigned staff; develops, implements, and monitors work plans to achieve goals and objectives
- Provides leadership and works with staff to ensure a high performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving the department’s and the City’s mission, objectives, and values
- Recommend and implement goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for providing building inspection programs
- Performs the more technical and complex tasks of the work unit including the most difficult and complex inspections of residential and/or commercial buildings to ensure compliance with City, state and federal construction, maintenance, use, health, safety, electrical, mechanical and plumbing standards; issues citations as an enforcement authority for violation of City ordinances
- Keeps informed of changes and new legislation pertaining to building codes and regulations affecting work of the department, ensuring that appropriate staff is informed and current
The ideal candidate should possess:
- High school diploma or equivalent, supplemented by college level course work in construction technology, building inspection or a related field
- Six years of building inspection experience, including one year of lead responsibility
- A valid certification as a Construction inspector pursuant to California Health and Safety Code section 18949.28
- A valid Class C California driver's license
- Current standing as a Certified Access Specialist (CASp)
- Knowledge of:
- Operations, services and activities of a building inspection program
- Federal, state and municipal codes and regulations governing building construction, rehabilitation, alteration, use, and occupancy and their intended application
- Principles and methods used in a wide range of building construction trades, including review of plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling, ventilation, building construction and remodeling plans and any related areas and building/construction regulations in any area of the City related to planning and redevelopment
- Ability to:
- Supervise, coordinate and direct building inspection programs
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; provide alternative solutions to difficult/complex situations
- Understand, interpret, explain and apply applicable federal, state and local policies, laws and regulations
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Respond and perform assigned duties in the event of a City-declared emergency
- Effectively lead a team towards goals
- Strategic Thinker
- Problem Solver and Decision Maker
- Planner and Organizer
- Interpersonally Effective
- Technically Knowledgeable
FILING DEADLINE: Open until sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
First review of candidates will be 7/27/2020.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City is available on our website at www.toaks.org/jobs.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.