The City of Thousand Oaks is in a period of exciting transition. As we move forward in a post pandemic world, there is a focus on implementing a comprehensive growth and development culture. We are seeking a creative and passionate Talent Development Officer to join our Human Resources team. The Talent Development officer will formulate and implement a focused and innovative strategy for City-wide training and development. The successful candidate will foster a culture of continuous learning, high performance, and professional development. To excel in this role, the Talent Development Officer will go beyond traditional formal training and development methods and work closely with City leaders to incorporate leadership principles to everyday job performance.
As an integral member of the Human Resources leadership team, the Talent Development Officer will provide input on a full range of Human Resources issues. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of City-wide talent development programs
- Determine best learning methods for diverse group of learning needs, including in person/virtual instructor led trainings (ILTs) or e-learning videos, and tools
- Work with key stakeholders to evaluate training needs, recommend, and develop training solutions; incorporate custom and purchased content
- Grow organization utilization and integration of new eLearning platform, including custom content creation
- Coach and support supervisors and managers in 1-1 and classroom settings in employee learning talent development, and performance management (e.g. annual performance review process and Performance Improvement Plans (PIP)
- Strong strategic and planning skills; ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders on innovative learning approaches and methods
- Excellent relationship building skills and ability to establish rapport and trust
- Effective project management skills and ability to effectively adapt in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to facilitate group discussions and adapt approach to diverse audiences and learning approaches
- Creativity to develop new ideas and identify ways to engage employees with different perspectives and experiences
- Excellent influence, presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of learner experience and ways to deploy a variety of learning methods and strategies
- Experience successfully coaching employees through a development process
- Experience with management of a Learning Management and/or Performance Management system (Cornerstone and SABA a plus)
- Strong technical skills to leverage technology for training needs
- A minimum of 5 years of learning and development experience with in-person and virtual training programs
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public or business administration, or closely related field
- A minimum of 7 years of increasingly responsible human resources management experience, including 2 years of supervisory, management, and program/project development experience.
- A valid Class C California driver’s license
FILING DEADLINE: Open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received. First Review: Thursday, July 22, 2021. Applications and supplemental questions will be reviewed on an on-going basis and candidates are encouraged to apply by Thursday, July 22, 2021. Please note, the recruitment may close without notice at any time after the first review date.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City is available on our website at www.toaks.org.
For additional information or questions, please contact staff in the Human Resources Department at (805) 449-2144.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION - The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
Veteran’s Preference - In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.