The City is accepting applications for a Hourly City Worker- Senior Crossing Guard.
The Senior Crossing Guard will work under the supervision of the Transit Program Manager and assist in the coordination of the school crossing guard program.
This is a part-time/hourly position and the incumbent will work approximately 20 - 25 hours per week during the school year, not to exceed 1000 hours in a Fiscal Year. Schedule will be dictated by school schedules.
The successful candidate will perform a variety of administrative duties, including but not limited to:
- Planning, prioritizing, and assigning the work of Crossing Guards at specific locations
- Establishing schedules and methods for providing relief guards
- Providing staff training and performing observations
- Assist in processing time sheets for crossing guard personnel
- On request, attending and participating in meetings impacting the Grossing Guard Program
- Supplying equipment as necessary
- Conducting vehicle and pedestrian counts at crossing guard locations and providing technical reports
- Conducting daily field checks and responding to complaints from crossing guards concerning traffic problems, signage, and non-compliant motorists, providing location coverage as needed
The ideal candidate should:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, school personnel, students and the public
- Be proficient at understanding and assigning the work of crossing guards
- Be able to provide staff training
- Possess basic computer skills and be able to enter and retrieve data
- Be able to deal constructively with conflict and develop effective resolutions
- Effectively communicate both orally and in writing
- Be a team player who works well with others, is motivated, and provides excellent customer service
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade, plus two years of experience working in a crossing guard program or equivalent experience.
- Prior experience working in a lead capacity is a plus
- Basic data entry skills and knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel highly desirable
- Possession of a valid Class C California driver’s license required.
Essential Job Attributes:
- Leadership Skills
- Problem Solver
- Safety Oriented
- Tactful, Courteous and Calm
FILING DEADLINE: Open until filled. First Review: Monday, September 13, 2021. Applications and supplemental questions will be reviewed on an on-going basis and candidates are encouraged to apply by Monday, September 13, 2021. Please note, the recruitment may close without notice at any time after the first review date.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE: Applicants are required to complete the Supplemental Questionnaire. This will be used throughout the process to assist in determining each applicant's qualifications for the position.
Additional information about the City is available on our website at www.toaks.org.
For additional information or questions, please contact Human Resources at (805) 449-2144.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE: In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.