UC Davis Medical Center
Disability Management Services (DSM) Counselor
Budgeted Salary Range: $5,916.67 to $7,916.66 Monthly
Final Filing Date: 11/30/2018
Under general direction of the DMS Manager provides services mandated by federal and state law, UC System-wide policies and UC Davis Procedures to faculty and staff with disabilities assuring consistent campus-wide application of Disability Law and Policy. Evaluates faculty, staff and student employees for program eligibility with respect to the Interactive Process and Reasonable Accommodation, to retain in employment when their work is impacted by a medical condition, illness, or disability. This position reviews and has signature authority to approve medical separations. Provides union contract and policy interpretation, advice and consultation on Disability Management issues to campus managers and supervisors related to Interactive Process, Reasonable Accommodation and Medical Separation.
Handles highly confidential and sensitive assignments that involves substantial complexity, regularly collaborating with campus leadership such as the Director of Employee and Labor Relations, Director of Faculty Relations, Campus Counsel, Deans and Assistant Deans, Department Chairs, Office of the President General Counsel, Campus and UCOP Risk Management. Collaborates with the university's workers' compensation Third Party Administrator, physicians, medical treatment providers, outside attorneys, state and federal agency representatives.
• Current Certified Rehabilitation Counselor; hold a current Counselor Certification from the Commission on Rehabilitation counselor Certification (CRCC) or Current Certified Disability Management Specialist (CDMS) or be able to become certified within 6 months of hire.
• Master's Degree in counseling, psychology or related field.
• Extensive work experience in Disability Management and Vocational Rehabilitation.
• Experience conducting on-site job analysis in multiple settings including rural, agricultural, research, laboratories, administrative and varied locations.
• Experience performing job site inspections requiring measuring, weighing, and operation of digital camera.
• Experience with and strong working knowledge of Labor and Employment Law related to disability, including ADA, CA FEHA, FMLA, W.C. Labor Code.
• Knowledge of state and federal legislation affecting employment, retention and confidentiality of employees with disabilities.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of various counseling theories and techniques.
• Ability to travel to meetings on and off campus.
• Extensive work experience in Disability Management and Vocational Rehabilitation in Higher Education, a Health Care System or a comparable large business organization.
• Working knowledge of medical terminology and ability to understand and interpret medical reports and their respective implications in the development of appropriate work-site accommodation and/or placement. ·
• Demonstrated skills to conduct complex negotiations of reasonable accommodations; to conduct job analyses; to evaluate and recommend reasonable accommodations.
• Computer experience using Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Access or similar database, Internet and e-mail.
• Experience with budget management and skill to provide effective stewardship of unit and university resources.
• THIS POSITION MAY BE SUBJECT TO A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, DRUG SCREEN, LIVE SCAN FINGERPRINTING, MEDICAL EVALUATION CLEARANCE, AND FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY ASSESSMENT
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Requisition number #054114
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer