Under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator, Pool Manager & Senior Guard, the Water Safety Instructor assists in the implementation of the Learn-To-Swim program. Must possess a current Water Safety Instructor’s (WSI) certificate.
Essential Job Functions (including but not limited to):
- Instruct swim classes at all age levels & abilities from beginners to specialized skills
- Enforce all pool rules & regulations
- Assume all assigned duties connected with the maintenance of the swimming facility
- Perform any related work as required
- Instruct supervise Junior Lifeguards
- Recognize & respond to emergency situations & provide proper care as trained
- Administer CPR, First Aid & use an AED when needed
- Assist in any emergency situation as trained
- Attend & participate in all mandatory trainings & meetings
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Current American Red Cross certification in: Water Safety Instructor (WSI r. 04); Lifeguard Training & First Aid; CPR for the Professional Rescuer (CPR/FPR); AED Essentials, all guidelines outlined in Title 22*, and react quickly to emergencies.
Application should be completed on-line via the CalOpps website.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Application materials will be reviewed and evaluated using, in part, the criteria contained in this brochure.
The selection process may consist of one or more of the following components: a written exam, an oral interview, and medical exam. Only a limited number of persons whose application materials clearly demonstrate that they meet the needs of the City in terms of training, experience, education, and other job related characteristics will be invited to participate in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
Applicants who are invited to continue in the selection process will be notified by e-mail. Successful candidates’ names will be placed on an employment eligibility list. The eligibility list will remain in effect for a minimum of one year from the date the list is established. Additional vacancies that occur for this classification may be hired from the list.
The City of Union City provides reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities, upon request. Please contact the Human Resources Department if you will need reasonable accommodation for any aspect of the selection process.
The City of Union City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce.