To plan, direct, and supervise field maintenance division activities including infrastructure operations and maintenance, equipment and facility maintenance. The purpose of this recruitment is to fill a current vacancy, as well as establish an eligibility list for future vacancies.
The Infrastructure Administrator position is responsible for directing and managing all programs in the areas of roadway and pavement management program, facility maintenance, and fleet maintenance, signs and markings and electrical. The Infrastructure Administrator is also responsible for the City’s GIS system and USA response.
- The challenges for the Public Works Department continue to evolve and change in response to increasing regulatory demands and diminishing budgets.
- Within the roadway division the City is developing a program for sidewalk replacement. The City has existing trip hazard reduction and pavement rehabilitation programs. In response to Council goals, staff is exploring innovative solutions to the universal problems of trip hazard reduction and pavement maintenance. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to use their creativity to make a difference immediately.
- Sustainability is also a goal of the Council, and the City administration is weighing alternatives to increase energy efficiency at City facilities. The successful candidate will select whether the City leverages energy savings to fund efficiency programs within facilities (ESCO Model) or whether routine maintenance incorporates the principals of sustainability, or whether the solution is a combination of both approaches.
- Sustainability is also a leading concern within the fleet. The infrastructure Administrator will continue the high performance standards that the City enjoys while Woodland’s commitment to sustainability increases the number of hybrid and electric vehicles.
- Innovation is also a value within the Signs and Markings and Electrical divisions. With battery backups at 100% of the city’s 70 signalized intersections, the Infrastructure Administrator will expand the capabilities of electronic control systems. The successful candidate will use traffic sensors to record traffic speed and density will to assist engineering and planning, and supervise the linking of multiple signals to improve traffic flow and improve emergency response time, improving the quality of life for the citizens of Woodland.
- Woodland’s state of the art GIS system demonstrates the City’s commitment to innovation. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and expanding Woodland’s database which provides design level data and is accurate enough to function as the backbone for USA request response. As the database’s custodian and champion, the Infrastructure Administrator will continue to expand its use.
- The Ideal Candidate will use effective communication skills and political savvy to work with City leaders, elected officials, and an engaged public to implement the strategic direction of the department. They will be adept and comfortable delivering presentations in a public forum. They will promote a customer oriented approach and champion politically sensitive customer service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Plan, organize and direct activities of the Public Works Operations and Maintenance Divisions pertaining to streets, signs and markings, sidewalks, electrical services, GIS, SCADA, building and fleet maintenance as assigned. Plan, organize, coordinate, supervise, and evaluate programs, plans services, staffing, equipment, and infrastructure of the Public Works Department. Develop and implement goals, objectives, polices, procedures, schedules, and work standards for the various operating groups within the Public Works Department. Prepare and administer the annual Operations and Maintenance Budget for assigned program areas. Research and analyze complex problems, evaluate varied information and data, and exercise sound independent judgement within established guidelines. Coordinate maintenance service programs with other City departments and with outside agencies. Establish and maintain effective working relationships while providing for the evaluation, training, and professional development of assigned staff. Work cooperatively with others. Regular, predictable, consistent and timely attendance is an essential function of the position, in that the Employee must be present to work on facilities and equipment impacting the public’s health and safety.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
Interpret City policies and procedures, update department policies and procedures as needed. Draft City policies and procedures as appropriate, and promote positive morale and productivity of assigned department staff. Serve as Acting Public Works Director as assigned. Make presentations before the City Council, the public, and/or Boards and Commissions as assigned. Perform related duties as assigned.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university. Related experience may be substituted for the Associates degree by substituting additional qualifying experience with the City of Woodland, on a year-to-year basis. One year (2,080 hours) of work experience equals one (1) year of College.
Six (6) years of supervisory experience in Public Works activities related to street maintenance, electrical maintenance, equipment and facility maintenance, GIS, SCADA, signs and markings infrastructure maintenance or similar division.
Bilingual skills are desirable.
License or Certificate:
Upon hire, possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Apply with a City of Woodland application by visiting www.cityofwoodland.org/employment or the Human Resources Office, City Hall, 300 First Street, 2nd Floor, Woodland, CA 95695 by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2020. Supplemental questionnaire must be submitted with application by the final filing date to be considered. Résumés and cover letters are encouraged but will not be accepted in lieu of the application form. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Review Process: Based on the information provided in the application documents, the best qualified applicants will be invited for further examination. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination. Depending upon the number of applications received, the examination may consist of an application screening, written and/or practical exam, oral interview or any combination thereof. Applicants will be required to take and pass a medical examination by a City of Woodland physician to insure their physical suitability to perform the assigned duties. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at least seven days prior to the event.
$8,784.94 - $10,945.10/month
CalPERS Retirement System (2% @ 60 Formula for Classic CalPERS members and 2% @ 62 Formula for new CalPERS members). The City does not participate in social security
Choice of deferred compensation plans (Traditional and Roth plans available), including a 2% City match
CalPERS Medical Insurance Plans, including HMOs & PPOs. City gives an allowance toward the cost of insurance. Maximum Family Medical Allowance for 2020 is $2,030.13 per month
Dental / Vision:
City paid Delta Dental and Medical Eye Services
STD / LTD:
City paid wage protection for short and long term disabilities
City provides $50,000 life insurance policy
Voluntary Supplemental Life, Cancer, Accident Only, and Critical Illness insurances, and Flexible Spending Accounts available
6.7 hours per month during first three (3) years of service
8 hours per month
12.5 paid holidays (including two floating holidays)
96 hours per fiscal year
$200 per month upon certification
Professional Growth Incentive:
$625 per fiscal year for additional education or professional activities
The City of Woodland hires only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
The City of Woodland is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Supplemental questionnaire must be submitted with application by the final filing date to be considered