The Mid-Peninsula Water District (formerly Belmont County Water District) was formed in 1929 under the County Water District Act of California (Division 12 of lhe California Water Code, Sections 30000, et seq.).
Seven independent systems, including the Spring Valley Water Company, were consolidated and began functioning as a public utility in '1930. Since the first operation, the District has purchased its entire water supply from the City of San Francisco Water Department. The District now supplies water to consumers in an area slightly larger than the city limits of the City of Belmont. Small portions of the service area are within the City Limits of the City of San Carlos, Redwood City, and parts of the unincorporated County of San Mateo. The District's service territory covers approximately five square miles and serves approximately 28,000 people. In the event of an emergency the district can serve or be served with inter-ties between neighboring utilities, as of today the district has one inter-tie with Foster City, three with San Carlos, one with Redwood City, and three with San Mateo.
The Mid-Peninsula Water District has two main inlets. From Tunnels Pump Station, located on Canada Road near Crystal Springs Reservoir, and Hillcrest Meters, located in Redwood City, water flows through pipes in a variety of sizes ranging from 4" to 24" in diameter. Within the system there are ten storage tanks in which a combined total of 1 1,360,000 gallons of water are stored. Though most of the system is gravity fed, the system includes nine pumping stations that allow the Water District to pump uphill when needed. Belmont's average daily consumption during summer months is 4,800,000 gallons per day and the average daily consumption in winter months is 2,500,000 gallons per day.