Instruct children and adults (primarily 5-12 years of age) in beginning to intermediate sports camps or programs, such as Badminton, Basketball, Baseball, Cricket, Football, Softball, Soccer, Tennis, etc. Class content should provide basic and/or more advanced game mechanics, strategies, and the rules of sports, depending on the student level of skill. Class must emphasize the importance of good sportsmanship and team play. The goal is to have fun and develop a skill.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (This is a general description of duties and is not all-inclusive)
- Prepare area for specific sport (i.e. setup gym or sports field, assure all equipment is available, etc.)
- Teach all necessary aspects of sports
- Keep score of games, if applicable
- Maintain rosters and City forms
- Implement lesson plans to be provided by the City
- Enforce City policies and procedures
- Provide encouragement to participants and provide a positive atmosphere for play
- Participate in promotional opportunities, staff training and meetings when required
- Perform other duties as assigned
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
The Assistant Recreation Supervisor or Recreation Supervisor provides general supervision
- Must be at least 15 years of age
- Must have basic knowledge or background in basketball
- Must have experience dealing with children
- Must be able to work independently and reliably complete tasks
- Must be able to tactfully communicate with children and deliver feedback to parents
- Must be able to establish and maintain productive working relationships with staff, management, and clients
- Must have strong oral and written communications skills
- Must maintain a positive attitude with and towards others
- Must be able to work in changing indoor and outdoor environments
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as required
REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT
- Must be able to handle sensitive and/or stressful situations or information with tact, discretion and significant awareness of confidentiality
- Must effectively communicate with adults and children from a variety of cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to comply with suspected child abuse reporting (11166.5 PC)
- Employees are required to be certified in Adult/Child CPR & First Aid from American Red Cross, American Heart Association or supervisor approved equivalent. Employees must be certified within 30 days of hire date or prior to the first day of work, whichever occurs earlier.
- Fingerprinting and TB test are required
- Must submit verification of legal right to work in the United States as a condition of employment
Qualified applications will be evaluated based on related experience and quality of presentation. The most highly qualified applicants will be invited to an oral interview. Applicant evaluations may include a written and physical test. Satisfactory candidates will be placed on an eligibility list. Placements are anticipated immediately after the list is established. Some placements may be assigned to emphasize public education as the City’s needs require.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AT
City of Fremont, Recreation Services Division
3300 Capitol Avenue, Building B, Fremont, CA 94538
For further information regarding this position, please call (510) 790-5523
THE CITY OF FREMONT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON ANY BASIS.
The Recreation Services Division will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities and for religious reasons. Please advise us of special needs in advance of the examination by calling (510) 494-4347.
Some positions may require a health evaluation.
The information contained herein is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
This temporary assignment does not include benefits.