The After School Instructor will plan, prepare, and instruct recreation activities (Instructor Aides will assist). Activities may include art, cooking, dance, pre-school program and other program areas. Programs are designed for children ages 6–12 years of age (school grades 2nd to 6th). Job site placement: Brier, Cabrillo, or Grimmer Elementary.
Employment Starting Date: Monday, August 20, 2018
Program Start Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2018
Program End Date: Wednesday, June 12, 2019
Instructor Aide Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 2:30pm-6pm. Wednesday: 2pm-6pm.
Instructor Lead Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 2:00pm-6pm. Wednesday: 1:30pm-6pm.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES (These duties are a general description and are not all inclusive.)
- Develop and submit lesson plans including class content and material needs.
- Reinforce instruction on an individual or small group basis by assisting or tutoring students.
- Lead organized activities to develop and strengthen youth academic, recreational, and social skills.
- Plan lessons and activities so they are appropriate to students with various abilities.
- Ability to requisition supplies and/or purchasing program supplies within City guidelines.
- Evaluate and provide constructive feedback on activities.
- Conduct creative and safe class meetings; instruct students on the safe and proper use of supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Participate in cleaning and maintaining the facilities and equipment.
- Interact professionally and appropriately with parents, students, and staff.
- Communicate with supervisor regarding classroom needs.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED AND RECEIVED
General supervision is provided by a Program Coordinator or Recreation Supervisor. The Instructor Lead may supervise an Instructor Aide.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- At least one year’s experience working with children in an academic or recreation setting.
- Must be willing and able to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT
- Must be able to handle sensitive and/or stressful situations or information with tact, discretion and significant awareness of confidentiality.
- Must effectively communicate with adults and children from a variety of cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of youth education and recreation programs and methods of implementation.
- Willingness to comply with suspected child abuse reporting (11166.5 PC)
- Employees are required to be certified in Adult/Child CPR & First Aid from American Red Cross, American Heart Association or supervisor approved equivalent. Employees must be certified within 30 days of hire date or prior to the first day of work, whichever occurs earlier.
- Fingerprinting and TB test are required
- Must submit verification of legal right to work in the United States as a condition of employment
- Completion of two years of college or pass Paraprofessional/Instructional Assistant Exam
Qualified applications will be evaluated on the basis of related experience and quality of presentation. The most highly qualified applicants will be invited to an oral interview. Applicant evaluations may include a written and physical test. Satisfactory candidates will be placed on an eligibility list. Placements are anticipated immediately after the list is established. Some placements may be assigned to emphasize public education as the City’s needs require.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AT
City of Fremont, Recreation Services Division
3300 Capitol Avenue, Building B, Fremont, CA 94538
For further information regarding this position, please call (510) 494-4347
THE CITY OF FREMONT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
WE DO NOT DISCRIMINATE ON ANY BASIS.
The Recreation Services Division will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities and for religious reasons. Please advise us of special needs in advance of the examination by calling (510) 494-4347.
Some positions may require a health evaluation.
The information contained herein is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
This temporary assignment does not include benefits.