$6,563 - $8,377 per month
Plus excellent benefits
Additional Pay Incentives:
Shift Differential (3%-5%)
Bilingual Pay (Conversational-2.5%; Full-5%; Fluent-10%)
Uniform Allowance - $325.00 (June/December)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Apply by Friday, August 6, 2021 for first consideration
THE CITY is focused on enhancing our community members’ quality of life through well-designed services and a positive workplace culture. San Rafael is the economic and cultural heart of Marin County, and its high quality of life is centered on its commercial districts, engaged neighborhoods, active lifestyle, and natural environment. San Rafael (population 59,000) is a full-service city with a city council/city manager form of government with 12 departments, more than 400 employees, and an annual budget of $100 million. The City’s vision is to be a vibrant economic and cultural center reflective of its diversity. The City Council is engaged and seeks to strengthen the urban and commercial areas as well as sustain the beautiful natural environment.
San Rafael’s Organizational culture framework is an initiative called “Together San Rafael.” City employees are our greatest asset, and we seek talented individuals with diverse backgrounds who are creative, curious, and excited about a challenge. We are a results-driven team focused on the needs of community members. The Together San Rafael initiative is focused on modernizing City services and increasing the engagement of employees. This initiative recognizes the interconnectedness of the customer and employee experiencJOB DESCRIPTION:
This is a non-sworn, civilian training classification to be used while incumbent is attending a certified P.O.S.T. Basic Police Academy. Incumbent in this classification receives the same employee benefits as Police Officers, with the exception of being placed in the “Miscellaneous” retirement category until successful completion of a designated police academy, and as a civilian employee, will not be covered by government code sections 4850 and 3300 through 3311. Upon successful completion of an academy, incumbent shall be sworn as a Police Officer, placed in the safety retirement category and begin an 18-month probationary period as a Police Officer on the date of swearing in.Job Related and Essential Qualifications:
- High school graduate or its equivalent.
- Completion of 30 semester (or equivalent quarter) units from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Must be capable of performing the full range of work assigned to a Police Officer free from physical, mental or emotional restrictions, which would adversely impact job performance.
- All vision must be corrected to 20/20.
- Must be free from color blindness and have a normal field of vision.
- Normal hearing acuity.
- Weight in proportion to height, age and frame.
- Applicant must be 21 years of age minimum by completion of Police Academy.
- California Government Code Section 1031(a) requires that Police Officers be citizens of the United States. California Government Code Section 1031.5 requires that permanent resident aliens who desire to be employed as Police Officers be eligible for and have applied for citizenship.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
City of San Rafael application is required. Resumes do not substitute for the City application. Candidates must detail related education and experience on the online application since the application will be used to select candidates for testing. The examination for this recruitment will consist of any or all of the following: application appraisal and oral board interview examination. NOTE: Prior to appointment, the selected candidate must submit to and pass a P.O.S.T. approved background investigation and polygraph/CVSA examination. On a conditional job offer, the candidate must complete and pass a pre-placement psychological and medical examination, including drug screening prior to appointment. To file an application, go to: www.calopps.org. Select “Member Agencies”. Select “San Rafael”. Or, to apply, follow this link: https://www.calopps.org/san-rafael/job-20143389
Reasonable Accommodation: The City of San Rafael will make reasonable accommodations in the exam process to accommodate disabled applicants. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (415) 485-3474 before the oral board date.
To access the full Police Recruit Job Description, please follow this link: https://storage.googleapis.com/proudcity/devsanrafaelca/uploads/2016/11/Police_Recruit.pdf
The City of San Rafael offers an attractive compensation and benefits program. The salary range for this position is $6,563 - $8,377 Monthly, DOQ/DOE and a competitive benefits program including:
- Retirement: The City is a part of the Marin County Employee Retirement Association (MCERA) plan, which offers reciprocity between agencies in CalPERS (this is part of the 37 Act County System);
- Classic Employees – 2.7% @ at 55 formula, highest single year of compensation.
- PEPRA employees - hired after 1/1/13 or Classic employee with 6-month break in service are eligible for a 2.7% at 57 formula, highest 3 year average compensation.
- Health Insurance: Full flex cafeteria plan which can be applied to a health plan or converted to cash (Employee Only - $781.06; Employee+1 - $1,563.18 Employee+Family - $2,032.33; Waive Coverage $300.00)
- Life Insurance/Accidental Death & Dismemberment: $5,000 each
- Dental Insurance: Fully paid premium
- Vision Insurance: Fully paid employee premium
- Deferred Comp: Employee option
- Annual Leave: Vacation ranges from 10 to 25 days (depending on years of service), 12 days of Sick Leave, 13 Holidays.
- And more......